Wednesday 16 October 2013

Making Felted Eyes for Stuffed Animals

The Eyes have it...

A while ago I started experimenting with eyes for my Crazyhoundstore stuffed animals, I wanted something more expressive than plain simple buttons, even vintage ones!  I mused with hand-painted eyeballs sitting neatly on cotton, side by side. I have to admit that I was not convinced by the overall effect. See? 



Tom the Terrier started out as such a friendly chap, but the eyes just seemed to ooze meanness. If he were in a Dog Shelter he would struggle to find a home.... My own dogs even eyed him up warily, so it was no good, the eyes just had to go. These were prototypes that just didn't work. After reading Abbey Gassenberg's post about persistence I took Tom off the shelf - I was not going to be beaten!  

I decided to try needle felted eyeballs instead. Felting the brown Merino wool was relatively easy (barring stabbing my fingers instead of the wool, which was very painful) . Use two foam blocks underneath the wool - The upper one with a neat circle cut out that the model eye can sit in an not move while you needle felt it. Once you are happy that the eyeball is firm enough take a small piece of black wool and form it into a flat circle that you can't see through. Needle felt it for a short time, and then position it over the brown eyeball and needle felt in position. Do the same with a smaller piece of white wool to give the eyes a catch light.   

These are Tom's new eyes ...



I think it is better, and I got a bit carried away and needle felted his paws too, and replaced the eyes on the other fellow..... 


That leaves just one left to do, as you can see in the background, but he looks OK don't you think ? 

















  

2 comments:

  1. thankyou for your kind comment- love your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new eyes, great job, very cute. Although the dog with the mean eyes undoubtedly has a great personality in his own way.
    Alexis

    ReplyDelete